Communications and transportation are the basic components of tourism and are even the precondition for tourism to be able to contribute to maneuverability and help tourists come and go between departure and destination(Stephen J. Page & Joanne Connell, translated by Yin Jun, 2007: 170). In the relevant literature of discussing the correlation between conditions of traffic and transportation and tourism development, scholars like Chen Dunji (1990), Yan Shenxiong (1988), Huang Canhuang and Chen Wuzheng (2000) all believe that to increase a nation’s income and to match tourism demands and times, communications is one of the decisive factors for the development of tourism. Gunn (1994) directly explained that communications and transportation are the bridge between tourism spots and markets resources, and communications itself is not the purpose to travel but rather necessary to travel and all factors rely on communications and transportation. (Clare A.Gunn, translated by Li Yinghong and Li Changxun, 1999：43, 74, 81). Minister of the Ministry of Communications, Doctor Mao Zhiguo notes that: until now, communications construction and the development of Taiwan has primarily shaped its significant main infrastructures, and therefore, the operation and management of the transportation industry has changed from a supply-oriented view to a demand-oriented view and gradually steps into a mature period that stresses quality service. (From website of the Ministry of Communications, 2009)
According to the estimates of the World Tourism Organization (WTO), world tourism and people traveling will be increasing by an annual growth rate of 4% and by 2020 will reach 1/5 of world’s population, about 1.56 billion people, while world tourism profits will reach 2 trillion dollars. In view of the high correlation between the development issues of tourism and the travel industry and transportation, the goal for establishment of the department is mainly to coordinate the government’s policies on tourism and travel development with the transportation development and to cultivate essential employees and reserved staff for the airline and transport service industries with the expectation that students cultivated here can be talented transport service individuals with substantial professional service skills, career ethics and standards, proper literacy, outstanding management capabilities and a broad international vision to meet the demands of the passenger transportation industry with high-quality essential personnel. Therefore, the educational goals of the department are as follows:
1. To cultivate students with common capabilities, including language application, body adaptability, emotional management, art appreciation, interpersonal communications, information application, environmental understanding, life-long study and career ethics.
2. To cultivate students with professional capabilities: under the two basic course pillars of the front service module (including service categories of station affairs and cabin service) and the back service module, to cultivate students with career demanded practice operation capabilities, such as activity planning, administrative management and career development.
3. Practice orientation and management professions: to manifest technical and vocational education features and social trends, course content develops in and orderly way and step by step blends theory and practice to help students grasp industry information and technological demands and build an excellent platform for industry-university cooperation.
4. To enhance an international view and international communication capabilities: improve students’ foreign language capabilities and provide the opportunity for international exchange and diverse activities to develop students’ global macro vision.
5. To build good parent-teacher relationships and life education: build good parent-teacher interactive models and pay attention to communication channels between teachers and students for life education, as well as to unite the central force of the department.